Diploma of Community Services

Starts: 10 July, 2017

Duration: Up to 24 months

Effort: 10 hours per week

Price: Up to $8,700

VET Student Loan

National recognised training Course code: CHC52015

Diploma of Community Services


Are you eligible for a NSW Government subsidy?

Before you can enrol in nationally-recognised training in Australia, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier Number (USI)

Get USI number Enrol Enrol

Course details

Online Diploma of Community Services Sydney TAFE https://www.youtube.com/user/sydneyinstitute https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RQm0gy81E-s/mqdefault.jpg https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RQm0gy81E-s/hqdefault.jpg https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RQm0gy81E-s/maxresdefault.jpg youtube 1.7709923664122 232 131 It worked!

The Diploma of Community Services online course reflects the roles of community services, case management and social housing workers involved in the managing, co-ordinating and/or delivering of person-centred services to individuals, groups and communities.

At this level, you will have specialised skills in community services and work autonomously under broad directions from senior management. You will also provide direct support to individuals or groups of individuals, and sometimes you will have responsibility for the supervision of other workers and volunteers and/or case management, program coordination or the development of new business opportunities.

Note that the 'Statutory and Forensic Child, Youth and Family Welfare' specialisation must be achieved in order to meet the minimum education requirements for child protection and youth justice practice in Victoria. In addition, to meet the minimum education requirements for entry into child protection practice in Victoria, diploma qualifications must be approved by the Australian Community Workers Association (ACWA).

To achieve this qualification, you must complete at least 100 hours of work as detailed in the assessment requirements of units of competency.

No licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.

Enrolling in First Aid units of competency

If you are seeking to enrol in a First Aid unit of competency you are advised that to complete the unit you must be able to perform basic life support skills, for example control bleeding and perform CardioPulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). If you have a disability that would prevent you from performing required basic life support skills you are advised that you will not be able to achieve the unit of competency.

Work placements

Many TAFE courses have a compulsory work placement component to assist you to apply your learning in a practical environment and you may be required to comply with some (or all) of the following.

1. NSW Health

Before you commence any clinical placements in NSW Health facilities, you will be required to:

  • meet NSW Health’s criminal record check requirements
  • sign the NSW Health Code of Conduct form and any other forms, as required by NSW Health
  • undertake occupational assessment, screening and vaccination against infectious diseases and provide your Health Care Worker/Student Vaccination Record card.

For specific information regarding NSW Health’s requirements and access to the required forms, it is recommended that you visit their FAQs for students at

2. Aged care work

Before you undertake any clinical placements in aged care facilities you will be required to undertake a federal criminal record check. Visit: http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

3. Community and Children's services

Anyone in child-related work (including student placements and volunteers) MUST have a current working with children check (students/volunteers free) in line with the Office of Children’s Guardian phase-in schedule and processes. Visit: http://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/Working-with-children/working-with-children-check

4. Student readiness for work placement

Generally work placements will only occur after there has been a reasonable amount of student/teacher contact and when the teacher is satisfied that you are ready to benefit from workplace learning and perform workplace duties. Your teacher can provide further information.

Student rights and responsibilities

For more information visit https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/rights-and-responsibilities/index.htm

Credit for Prior Learning

If you already have skills and knowledge that are relevant to your course, you may be able to apply for credit through articulation, credit transfer or recognition of prior learning. To find out more about applying for credit follow this link https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/get-started-at-tafe-nsw/recognition-of-prior-learning. This page also provides information on how to use your existing TAFE NSW qualifications to undertake a higher level qualification at TAFE NSW (e.g. Cert II to Cert III, Cert III to Cert IV, Cert IV to Diploma, etc.)

TAFE to University

Many TAFE NSW courses offer you the opportunity to gain both vocational and university qualifications. To find out more about the pathways to higher education please follow this link https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/study-options/tafe-to-university

Entry requirements

There are no entry requirements for this qualification.

Before you can enrol in nationally-recognised training in Australia, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier Number (USI). This includes students completing an apprenticeship or skill-set certificate or diploma course.

This course is delivered completely online. Once enrolled you'll have up to 2 years to complete the course. You will be required to do approximately 10 hours of work such as reading and completing tasks each week.

How to enrol or apply


Before you enrol you must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Visit http://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-your-usi to request a USI. Remember to add Sydney TAFE to your account via the Manage Permissions page (code: 90003, name: TAFE NSW - Sydney Institute).

Find out more about applying and enrolling: http://www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/applying-and-enrolling

Fee information


This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.

Find out more about VET Student Loans at http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/vet%20student%20loans/pages/vet%20student%20loans

Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.

The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed below. Fees are charged on the census day for each unit of study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.

Find out about recognition: http://www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/recognition


Fees, payment and refunds: http://www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/fees-and-charges

Financial assistance: http://www.sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/financial-assistance

Units of study

Name Start date End date Census Amount
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2017/07/10 2017/10/06 2017/09/04 $1088.00
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2017/10/09 2018/01/05 2017/11/06 $1088.00
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2018/01/08 2018/04/06 2018/02/05 $1088.00
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2018/04/09 2018/07/06 2018/05/07 $1088.00
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2018/07/09 2018/10/05 2018/08/06 $1088.00
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2018/10/08 2019/01/11 2018/11/05 $1088.00
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2019/01/07 2019/04/12 2019/02/04 $1088.00
UOS VSL-Diploma of Community Services 2019/04/08 2019/07/05 2019/05/06 $1084.00
Number Subject name
CHCCCS007 Develop and implement service programs
CHCCOM003 Develop workplace communication strategies
CHCDEV002 Analyse impacts of sociological factors on clients in community work and services
CHCDIV003 Manage and promote diversity
CHCLEG003 Manage legal and ethical compliance
CHCMGT005 Facilitate workplace debriefing and support processes
CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
HLTWHS004 Manage Work Health and Safety
CHCCSL001 Establish and confirm the counselling relationship
CHCCS004 Assess co-existing needs
CHCADV005 Provide systems advocacy
CHCCDE008 Support community action
CHCAOD004 Assess needs of client with alcohol and other drugs issues
CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues
CHCDEV001 Confirm client developmental status
CHCSOH001 Work with people experiencing or at risk of homelessness

Your course fee depends on the qualification level of the course you choose and the course itself, and:

  • whether you have completed a previous qualification and what type of qualification it was
  • whether you live in NSW and are an Australian citizen or permanent resident; or you are an international student or temporary resident
  • whether you’re offered a Government subsidised (Smart and Skilled) or full-fee place.

There are various concessions or exemptions available for eligible students as well as opportunities to receive financial assistance.

See here for more information about fees, payments and refunds.


For the best and most secure online learning experience, we recommend updating to the latest version of your browser.

Minimum Browser Requirement



Desktop (Desktop, Laptop)

  • Chrome  v30.0 or later

  • Safari v6.0 or later

  • Internet Explorer v9.0 or later

  • Firefox v25.0 or later

Mobile (Tablet, Mobile)

  • Chrome  v30.0 or later

  • Safari v6.0 or later

  • Firefox v25.0 or later

  • Internet Explorer v9.0 or later

Screen Reader

Two on-screen readers are supported by the LMS:


Screen Reader

Minimum Version

Internet Explorer







Javascript enables interactivity on the web. Our courses and portals will often use Javascript for activities and class material. Blocking javascript may cause you to miss vital functions and information. Be sure to allow javascript in your browser.


Screen Size

Apart from the reliable old standards such as desktops and laptops, for viewing on tablets, we recommend a minimum screen size of 7” for an optimal experience of the LMS and its contents.  Examples of these would be iPad mini, or Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

Operating System

For the best experience, we recommend updating to the latest version of your operating system. We can only offer support for the latest versions.

Minimum functionality requires Mac OS 10.0 and above, or Windows 9 and above.


A cookie is a tiny piece of data sent from a website and stored in your web browser. Every time the user loads the website, the browser sends the cookie back to the server to notify the user's previous activity.

This function helps us keep track of your activities and keep all your settings the way you left them.

Be sure to enable cookies in your browser settings.

PDF Viewer

Some of your course material will be available as a pdf file.  You will also need a PDF viewer to view and print your certificate when completing a course.

Some newer browsers will have a built-in PDF viewer, however you can download the free Adobe Acrobat viewer from the Adobe website if required.

Multi Devices Support

For the best online learning experience we recommend screen resolution no smaller than 1024 x 768 pixels.

Services and support

Get the most out of your studies with specialised support to meet your study goals. From career counseling, to learning support, child care and disability support, TAFE NSW offers a broad range of student support services to help you every step of the way.


FAQ - Enrolments

How do I enrol in TAFE for an online course?

All enrolments happen via the website - click on the enrol / apply button and follow the instructions. If you need assistance with the process, you may wish to contact the course enrolment centre or send an email - the details are on the website

Are there applications for online courses?

For Diploma level courses you are required to apply first before enrolling. Also, some courses require prospective students to provide additional information like a portfolio - these details are found in the course description and application information.

Are there applications for online courses?

For Diploma level courses you are required to apply first before enrolling. Also, some courses require prospective students to provide additional information like a portfolio - these details are found in the course description and application information.

Is there a limit to enrolments for online courses?

Teachers set a maximum number of enrolments that can be accepted into a course.

Where do I find online enrolment dates?

The website provides all the enrolment dates. If there is no date, it is advisable to fill in the online form and you will be contacted about when the next intake of the course will be open for enrolments.

FAQ - Career advice

Is there career guidance at TAFE NSW?

Yes, there is free career advice available. If you are thinking of enrolling at TAFE NSW, our counsellors can help you with: making good course choices; planning your career and re-training; how to apply for credit to gain entry to a course or reduce the time spent finishing a course; and other concerns or questions about returning to study. More information here.

Is there free counselling for students?

Yes, there is free counselling available. TAFE NSW Counsellors are available at every stage of your learning journey with us. See Learning support and Personal counselling for more information about how a TAFE Counsellor may assist you.

How do I get free legal advice as a TAFE NSW student?

Yes, free legal advice is available to members of the Student Association.

Are TAFE NSW courses career orientated?

Yes. Courses are constantly fine-tuned after consultation with industry so you learn real-world skills.

FAQ - Fees

Can I get a TAFE NSW fee exemption?

Some students are eligible for an exemption from paying fee, including:

1.) Students who are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and are studying at any level

2.) People with a disability.

3.) Dependent children, spouses or partners of a Disability Support Pension recipients.

What about online courses and fees for international students and students overseas?

If you are from overseas and are here in Australia on an international student visa, your visa covers face-to-face learning only.

If you are living overseas and want to do a TAFE NSW online course from overseas, you are able to do our fully online courses but you will pay full commercial fees.

What are online fees in 2017?

Course fees vary from course to course. Please check the website for each course’s fees.

What does Smart and Skilled fees mean?

Courses are ‘Smart and Skilled’ if they appear on the NSW Skills List. They are subsidised by the NSW  government, so you only contribute a portion of the course fee

Courses on the NSW Skills List are linked to careers and industries that have jobs that will be in demand in the future.

Are all certificate fees, diploma fees and advanced diploma fees different?

Fees for different courses and qualification levels vary. Always check the website for fees.

FAQ - Government funded courses

What are government-funded courses?

If the online course you want to study is linked to an occupation on the NSW Skills List then it will partly government-funded. These are known as ‘Smart and Skilled’ courses.

What does a government-subsidised course mean?

A government-subsidised course is the same as a ‘government-funded course, and the same as a Smart and Skilled course.

What are Smart and Skilled courses?

‘Smart and Skilled’ courses will also appear on the NSW Skills List. They are subsidised by the NSW  government, so you only contribute a portion of the course fee

Courses on the NSW Skills List are linked to careers and industries that have jobs that will be in demand in the future.

How do I find a free online course?

All free courses are advertised on the website. You will need to check whether the course you are interested in is an online or a face to face course.

FAQ - Open learning

How does TAFE NSW compare with private online colleges?

TAFE NSW is one of the largest and most respected education and training providers in Australia. It is government-backed and valued by industry. All TAFE NSW online courses are nationally accredited. All courses are facilitated by industry-experienced teachers. Students are able to access all the support services that non-online students value so highly.

Is the online learning platform up to date?

Yes, the contents and the platform are always kept up to date and course content is reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that it is current.

What are the main challenges of learning online?

Learning online requires a person to be self-disciplined and to be able to work independently. At TAFE NSW our facilitators are always willing to provide guidance, support and communicate regularly, but as an online student you need to be able to be manage your own workload by sticking to a study schedule and have the right technology to enable to study online effectively.

Is online learning the same as open learning and distance learning?

Open learning and distance learning refer to course work being provided in an online environment. This is different to doing an online course at TAFE NSW where studying online means using computer technologies to access learning materials and activities via the internet. These learning materials and activities may be presented in different ways, such as discussion forums, video presentations and demonstrations, blogs, wikis, electronic books or quizzes.

What are the benefits of online study?

Studying online at TAFE NSW means that you can study where you want, using a range of technologies to connect with your classmates, get feedback from your teacher and complete our work. It offers greater flexibility, enabling you to work around your other commitments.

Do you offer online degrees?

Not at the moment, but there will be online degrees offered in the future.

If I study online with TAFE NSW, how do I know the courses are career orientated?

All TAFE NSW online courses are constantly refined to offer the latest industry skills and techniques so graduates are work-ready.

FAQ - Pathways to university

Does online study offer a pathway to university?

TAFE NSW has hundreds of credit transfer agreements so you can link your online study to a bachelor degree at a university or another provider. Many diploma and advanced diploma courses will provide you credit towards your degree, usually up to one year’s credit.

I can go from TAFE to university; can I go from university to TAFE?

Thousands of university graduates study at TAFE NSW to make sure they gain work-ready skills that will qualify them for their dream job.

Are there online courses leading into degrees?

Yes. You may be able to use your study in a TAFE NSW Online course to gain credit towards a related university degree.

Do you offer online degrees?

Not at the moment, but there will be online degrees offered in the future.

FAQ - Open library

Is there a library fee?

If you are currently enrolled in a course there is no charge for any of the library resources or services

Do online courses have an online library?

The library has a range of online resources and information databases that provide useful resources for any of the courses being done.

Are there library late fees?

Late fees only refer to books that are borrowed. If you are studying online and live in proximity of a TAFE NSW library you are able to go there and borrow books / magazines. If you do not bring your books back on time you will incur a late fee. This does not apply to any online resources that you use.

Can I access the library after hours?

The online library is available from your computer or other device, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If you want to visit a physical library, then you will need to check the opening hours as they differ between libraries.

Is there 24/7 library access?

The online library is available from your computer or other device, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If you want to visit a physical library, then you will need to check the opening hours as they differ between libraries.

FAQ - USI number

Will I have a student number?

Yes, you will be given a student number.

What is the USI?

If you want to study nationally-recognised training at TAFE NSW you need a USI. Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results (transcripts) which you can access whenever you need them, like when you’re applying for a job or enrolling in further study. Go to www.usi.gov.au and follow the instructions to create a USI.

Can I get USI help?
Do all TAFE students have a USI?

If you want to study nationally recognised training at TAFE NSW you need a USI.

What is a USI login?

After you get your USI, you will be able to login to your USI account.

FAQ - VET Student Loan

What is VET Student Loan?

VET Student Loan is a scheme funded by the Commonwealth Government to assist eligible students pay their course fees for selected Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas.

Does TAFE NSW offer VET Student Loan for online courses?

Yes, many TAFE NSW online courses are also VET Student Loan - eligible courses.

Am I eligible to VET Student Loan?

VET Student Loan eligibility criteria are available at http://sydneytafe.edu.au/courses/vet-student-loans

Where do I get more information on VET Student Loans?

For VET Student Loan information please go to https://www.tafensw.edu.au/vet-student-loans

Is a VET Student Loan right for me?

As with any loan you take, you must understand the terms and conditions before you make a commitment.

Please read the VET Student Loan information available on the Commonwealth Department of Education website https://education.gov.au/vet-student-loans and consider seeking independent financial advice.

FAQ - Moodle

What is Moodle?

Moodle is the name of the Learning Management System that may be used for your course. This means that the course content is structured and provided via this system.

Does TAFE NSW have open access Moodle?

No - The courses which are only available to enrolled students.


Thank you for contacting us.

One of our Customer Service staff will be in touch with you shortly. However, if you’d like to speak with us sooner, please call us on 1300 360 601.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.